This article has been lifted from our eLearning website on writing an email campaign- myma.sixthsense-training.com
How do you write a great marketing email?
It all comes down to a few email campaign copywriting best practices that you should apply to both the subject line of your message and the message body itself.
The subject line
- Use actionable language. (like “take,” “download,” “reserve,” “ask,” “buy,” etc.), the reader knows exactly what they can do in the email,
- Personalise when possible. If you know the contact’s name then add a dynamic name field such as [FIRSTNAME] into your subject line,
- Prioritise clarity, and only then think about “catchiness.” You might have a great line that sounds cool but makes no sense. Your subject line should be clear before anything else.
- Align your subject line copy and email copy. Make sure that your subject line is actually the subject of your email main body content.
The main body
- Establish relevancy. This is different from personalising your email. Just because you know the customer’s name doesn’t mean the email is relevant. Try to think about something that interests them specifically.
- Write in the second person. Writing in the second person means using the pronouns “you,” “your,” and “yours.”
- Talk about benefits, not features. You know the value of your email. But does your recipient? No, not yet. And it’s your job to explain it.
- Be brief. Think about when you open a marketing email in your inbox. Do you read every single word in there? Probably not.
- Be lovable. Just because emails are meant to inform doesn’t mean they can’t also delight. In some cases, email can be a great avenue for letting your brand’s personality shine, helping you build a meaningful relationship with the folks on your email list.
- Use actionable language in your call-to-action.That’s right: Emails have calls-to-action, too.
Here’s an example of a great email:
We know that it’s probably not possible to include every single step mentioned above, but if you try to include as many as possible, your email will be sure to have a positive effect on your customers.
This article has been taken from myma.sixthsense-training.com – our eLearning portal for Modern Apprenticeships. To access the rest of this course, and loads more like it, call us now to see if you’re eligible for one of our apprenticeships.